Policy of quality, reasearch and development
Quality is the motivating power and one of the priority values of Semenarna Ljubljana. Our products and services are sustainable-oriented. We are constantly striving towards improvement of the quality of food production through a wide and diverse offer of retail and wholesale products and contribution to a more qualitative use of leisure time and improved arrangement of the living environment.
The offer of Semenarna Ljubljana is based on its own organised seed production:
- Semenarna Ljubljana varieties,
- Slovenian varieties and
Production of basic selected seeds at our own Selection centre in Ptuj:
Semenarna Ljubljana has been acquiring the trust of domestic and foreign consumers of seeds for nearly a century through successful production of landraces and foreign seed varieties. We constantly update our production capacities and consider the our most important milestone as the Ptuj Selection Centre which was established in 1968.
Since 1988 when the Ptuj selection centre expanded to 46 hectares, co-operation with amateur and professional growers of ornamental plants and crops has become even more intensive and regular. Maintenance selection of conservation and Semenarna’s varieties is the most important task of the Ptuj Selection Centre. These include:
- cabbage: varaždinsko, ljubljansko, futuško;
- turnip: kranjska okrogla in podolgovata;
- kohlrabi: rumena maslena;
- lettuce: leda, ljubljanska ledenka, bistra, posavka, dalmatinska ledenka, unicum, laibacher eis 3, vegorka, nansen, zimska rjavka, braziljanka, majska kraljica;
- corn-salad: ljubljanski, žličar, pomladin;
- tomato: val, bon pierre, novosadski jabučar;
- garden pepper: soroksari, kurtovska kapija, sivrija, botinska rumena, jerneja, alpina, magdalena;
- pepperoni: ferdi;
- onion: ptujska rdeča, belokranjka, tera, holandska rumena;
- cucumbers: dolge zelene;
- beans: češnjevec, jabelski pisanec, jeruzalemski, ptujski maslenec, maslenec rani, klemen, zorin, cipro, semenarna22, barianec, kiro;
- carrots: nantes 2, ljubljansko rumeno;
- parsley: berlinski;
- beetroot: bikor, cilindra;
- leek: dolgi domači, carentan;
- shallot: pohorka;
- chycory: solkanski;
- endivie: eskariol zelena, dečja glava;
- garlic: ptujski jesenski in spomladanski;
- cucumber: slovenska golica;
- buckwheat: darja;
- lucerne: soča, krima, mura;
- feed rape: daniela;
- spelt: murska bela, murska dolgo klasa.
The basic activity of production is the organisation and production of seeds for the company's own needs and for exportation. Production takes place in areas possessing the most suitable climate and soil conditions which is a prerequisite for reaching high yields and producing high-quality seeds. The majority of preservation varieties in Slovenia are maintained at Semenarna Ljubljana in Ptuj. Mercantile and seed material is produced by our cooperants. We are primarily expanding our production to areas where Semenarna Ljubljana has subsidiary companies; however, production is also organised in areas providing a stable and quality harvest.